Closing Date: 30 Dec 2017
- Location: Bideford, Devon
- Job Type: Full Time
- Pay: £30,000 Annually
- Employer: Atlantic Racquet Centre
Purpose of the Role
To be responsible and accountable for ensuring that the Centre is fully operational and functional on a day to day basis and delivering a user experience of the highest quality.
A key task initially for the post holder will be developing operational and financial procedures for the Centre in conjunction with the appropriate Trustee sub groups.
1. Finance: to be responsible for the day to day financial operation of the Centre ; to oversee major income and expenditure : to submit quarterly financial reports to the Trustee Board.
2. Gym and Fitness Operation : to be responsible for the overall gym and fitness operation in conjunction with the Gym Manager and the gym support staff. The General Manager will work with the Gym personnel to develop and sustain the gym and fitness membership targets and to support the Community Use agreement with a focus upon the delivery of a GP referral scheme.
3. Bar and Catering Operation: to be responsible for the overall bar and catering operation in conjunction with the Bar and Catering Supervisor and the bar support staff. In particular the General Manager will be responsible for developing a series of members social events within the Centre and proactively seek external bookings to maximise income .
4. Marketing and Programming : To develop a broad and interesting programme of events , focussing upon off peak and daytime usage , working with the Head Coach and coaching team and the Gym and Fitness Manager to maximise usage of the centre and its outdoor courts. To be responsible for the marketing and promotions within the Centre.
6. Personnel Management: to manage the day to day operation and rotas for both paid and voluntary personnel to ensure the required level of staffing for the centre operation; to ensure all staff are skilled and competent in their roles and to manage the training needs for all personnel.
7. Membership : to assist the Trustee Board , Head Coach , Gym Manager and Club officials with issues relating to the club membership , including recruitment , induction of new members , maintaining accurate membership databases and developing and ensuring good communication practices with the members across a range of mediums .
8. Duty of Care and Welfare: to ensure that participants, visitors , staff and volunteers can enjoy playing and working within the Centre in a safe environment and one that complies with all legal requirements. To comply with all statutory and club policy requirements in respect of inspections and checks on the premises . To ensure the promotion and appropriate level of safeguarding and welfare practices for children, staff and participants .
9. Cleaning and Maintenance: To manage an effective and high quality cleaning and maintenance operation through the utilisation of contractors, support staff and volunteers
Overview of the Venue
The Atlantic Racquet Centre (ARC) at Caddesdown , Bideford is a new racquet facility in North Devon. It is a registered Charity , with a dedicated board of volunteer trustees. The Club has over 500 members with a well developed coaching programme both within the club and in its educational outreach schemes . The Club has Its roots firmly based in the area , having for 65 years utilised outdoor courts in Westward Ho!
The Centre currently provides 6 floodlit outdoor tennis courts. The next phase due to be completed in the early part of 2018 is the development of the indoor centre which will provide a range of racquet facilities for tennis, squash, badminton and table tennis. Bar, catering and meeting rooms are designed within the complex as are well equipped gym and fitness studios providing additional opportunities to develop the membership and programme.
The ARC Trustee Board are currently working with the LTA on an application to deliver the Transforming Tennis Together programme and create ARC as a Community Hub in the Torridge area. Alongside that community project, ARC are working with Torridge Health services to create a Social prescribing scheme that can be delivered by the Centre.
The successful candidate will be expected to have a leisure management background with practical and senior experience in site management . The knowledge and ability to implement operational and legislative procedures and practices to ensure the safe and smooth operation of the centre is a key requirement. The applicant will have strong inter-personnel skills and a track record in delivering a high quality customer service.
An essential skill for the General Manager will be the ability to generate new business development opportunities alongside the social activity programme that will be required to ensure a high bar and catering turnover .
A positive characteristic of the successful applicant will be the knowledge and experience to balance the user requirements of the members , the casual user , the competitive tournament scene , the social events and fitness programmes and to understand and support the needs of each sector .
The manager will possess the ability to work well and proactively within a team and to understand the nature of the Trustees roles in ensuring that ARC fulfils its financial, legislative and community responsibilities.
A degree /higher diploma in leisure, hospitality, sports and business management
Essential Skills & Experience
A minimum of 3 years experience in a similar senior supervisory or management role
Excellent communication skills, written and verbal with strong leadership and people management skills
Good organisation and time management skills.
Ability to meet designated deadlines and manage multiple tasks
An ability to review the current operation and identify practical areas for improvement.
Capable of analysing and reviewing financial management information
Competent in IT skills with a good knowledge of database systems & Microsoft Office.
Knowledge of club membership schemes an advantage
Appreciation of food hygiene and health and safety in the work place.
How to Apply
If you have been inspired – then please request further details of the post and the person specification prior to sending us your full CV and covering letter of application.
These details available from Mary Harris on leisurelincs@ gmail.com .
If you would like an informal discussion about the Centre or the post , it is recommended that you contact the Chair of Trustees , Martin Morris on email@example.com .
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com .
Your application will be circulated to all the ARC Trustees for their consideration . A full list of the Trustees can be found @ www. Atlanticracquetcentre.co.uk .
The closing date is December 30th 2017 and all applications will be acknowledged prior to the setting of an interview date at the end of January 2018.